Skip to main content

Names, apples, fences, tape-worms and more apples.

Hello, Bertie Baggins here. Yes, the small, yellow one, nephew and self-appointed tormentor-in-chief of Four-legged-friend.




It's been a bit quiet on this blog recently due to Herbie's general rushed-off-her-feetedness so I thought I'd stand in and take a turn - share with you some of my observations on a dog's life and tell you a bit of what I have been doing. And shouldn't have been doing.

Before I start, I think I should share with you the history of my name. After all, you are reading this, so it is only fair that you have a clear understanding of exactly who I am:

Bertie stems from Gilbert. In keeping with my uncle, the afore-mentioned Four-legged-friend, otherwise known as M ... oops! He likes to keep his name out of this blog. Perhaps in case something embarrassing is written about him. Me ... I don't care. What could I possibly do that I would be embarrassed about? I'm a dog! Anyway, Four-legged-friend and me are named after Scottish Saints. Saints! Old guys who did something deemed to be worthy, once upon a time, in the very distant past, probably half-way up a midge-ridden mountain, knee-deep in a bog and with a gentle drizzle slowly soaking their saintly rags. Maybe it was hoped that some saintliness would rub off on us.

Hmmm ... I don't think it has.

I answer (sometimes ... occasionally ... okay - seldom or only when feeling saintly) to lots of other names:

  • 'Bertie Baggins' - the Baggins is apparently something to do with where I came from. Or a hobbit.
  • 'Boys!' - this is what it sounds like when humans bark.
  • 'Get out! - I'm not sure if that one is a name but I get called it a lot when I sneak up to the kitchen table, especially when it's laden with food. It's usually accompanied by a finger that points to where I have to go. 
  • 'Get down!' is another one with hand signals that confuses me. 
  • 'No!' is perhaps my nick name. If nick-names are the most frequent name after your actual name. It's short and I like it. I tend to stick around when it's said. That way I usually hear it again.
  • Four-legged-friend gets called 'Good boy' much more than I do. I'm pretty certain that one is a name. Maybe it's his nick-name. 
  • And I quite often get 'BURR-TEEE!!!!' when I have been gorging myself on apples.The hand signals with that one are very impressive. They whiz past your ear and fly around dangerously!
And whilst on the subject of apples - these are mine




Could someone explain why it has become so impossible to help one-in-a-permanent-state-of-tummy-rumbliness-self to these hard green and bitter balls of tongue-tingly crunchiness? A couple of weeks ago it was 'here we grow help yourself.' 

So us 'Boys!' did.




Now there's a fence!

In fact it's a constantly changing fence. It started off all easy-to-push-yourself-through stringy, which later sprouted silver discs that were meant to blind the apple thieves - which would have been good if they had, because I certainly don't want anyone stealing my apples. I didn't mind the CDs and sometimes jumped in to 'stock-take' -




Mum helped me to hop back out several times, using that 'No!' name that I like so much. She sometimes forgot that she wasn't in the kitchen and called me 'Out!' too. But then the 'BURR-TEEE!!!' naming started. And the fence stopped being made of string and was built of chicken-wire instead. 

Chicken-wire is sharp and scratchy particularly if it catches on sensitive places, but it can be squashed if jumped on and straddled with a hungry tummy. It stopped being squashy however when it was reinforced with bamboo canes. Which was most inconsiderate.




Hurrumph ... if I can't get at them, I hope that pesky apple thief can't take them either!


... do I have to tell you about my tape-worm or can that keep for another blog? I'm having much more fun writing about apples.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colour, Delacroix, flochetage and why don't we all have a go at inventing words

Yes - it is a real word. Flochetage. Well, a real-ish word. One invented by the painter Delacroix, when he found the dictionary cupboard bare and required a word to describe his technique of layering different coloured paints, using lightly pulled brush strokes to create texture and pattern and thereby enhance his base-layer colours (... lost? - stick around, read on and all will become clear. Or perhaps muddier ...). Flochetage implies both stringiness and threadiness. Apparently. And it sounds good - in a filling-the-mouth-with-sound sort of a way. Try it ... flochetaaaage. Not that I speak French. So I am probably mis-pronouncing it. Nor am I an artist. So what do I know about painting techniques - except that I think this one works. What I do like is the concept - you invent a new technique in whatever it is you do, hunt around for the vocabulary to describe it, find the dictionary is lacking, so make up a word of your own and announce to the world what it means. Delacroix isn&#

My beloved boy, how lucky I have been

It's an odd thing that when we are waiting for someone to die ... and I say someone here even though the one in question was a dog - but to us he had character and a place forever in our hearts and was more of a familiar someone than some of the people in our lives. So, I'll start again - it's an odd thing that when we are waiting for someone to die, our senses go into overdrive. We notice things that normally would be part of the background of our every day. We breathe more - or rather, we don't but what we do is notice our breathing more, as we watch his. We pause. We think. We listen to ourselves and our inner voices speak. Memories flood our dreams ... though sleep is fitful.  Why am I telling you this? ... ... we lost this beautiful boy today And in the hours before he went, I saw perfect spheres of dew on blades of grass - little orbs holding micro-images of our world; a bumble bee drunk on nectar, yellow-dusted with pollen, resting in a crocus; ten - yes, ten!

Tut, Tut, soggy feet again

"Tut, Tut, looks like rain." Tut, Tut probably isn't the first thing that springs to mind when viewing this picture. And faced with bleak weather and a sad-looking symbol of national pride it is unlikely that many would consider a small bear  a personage of sufficient gravitas to quote. However, Walking the Dog was in Scotland ( was rather than is, because was there last week without internet). And Walking the Dog likes Pooh. That sort of Pooh - the sort with an 'h' at the end. A. A. Milne had a lot to say about the weather. He gave Eeyore my favourite weather-related observation , "The nicest thing about the rain is that it always stops. Eventually." And last Thursday, it did stop. Long enough for Littlest and I to walk to our pooh-sticks bridge. Long enough for us to get half way there, along the grassy path. Long enough for us to chat to the cows (we had to shout as they stubbornly stayed at the distant end of the fie