Skip to main content

Take care. Inventing words and arguing with idioms.

Is there a word for the things we say repeatedly and if not exactly without thinking or without sincerity, then perhaps without gravitas? Almost with a throw-away, feathery, flippancy that suggests to others that it is not heartfelt. When in fact it might be the most important thing we ever say. It just doesn't sound that way because it is said too often. If there isn't a word in English for this then there should be. What about inventing one? Why not? I can think of lots of reasons 'why not' - but when did reason ever stop a procrastinator from ... well ... procrastinating?

To those that have to listen to us, these repeated, overused phrases become our own personal cliché, part of what makes us who we are and something that others, increasingly, grow to associate with us. You're here and you're saying it again. And again. Perhaps it becomes an ear-worm of the voice. We associate the person with what they say. So and so is coming to tea - mental image of so and so pops into your head and simultaneously that phrase they always say sings out into your mind's ear. Now, this could be good or bad. It might make you smile or grit your teeth. It could be slightly or intensely annoying, a constant undercurrent, punctuating your social transactions - a characteristic cliché-motif or clich-motif ('cl-ee-sh-mo-w- teef'), if you like. There - word invented. Clich-motif. I haven't looked very hard for an alternative so apologies if one exists already; it can consign my usurper to a bloggy grave.

Clich-motif: a slightly clumsy, invented, collective noun.

Examples would include the "... and see" that my mother places at the end of almost every sentence; and the 'take care' with which I bid farewell to one and all, on the phone, face to face, in texts and emails. Apparently, I use it all the time. I was even caught, earlier this week, saying it to a child who was going up the stairs to her room. I wasn't aware of this personal trope prior to having it pointed out. But I am now. And I hear myself start to say it and catch it and am forced to question why. Why do I say it? All the time.

Whether my invented word is a usurper or not, clich-motifs are common to us all. A verbal-tic that becomes a habit. We hear our children pick up and repeat the things that we say - words, small phrases; every family has them and when they stick they become part of family history, the glue that binds families together, the jokes and references to former events that only family members fully understand. We have 'toffee-tea' - said with a questioning uplift - which dates from eldest's endearing repeated offering of water in a plastic coffee cup when she was two or three years old, and 'please may can I have these ones?' which started when one child sternly told his father that I want was not the way to ask for something. Politicians do it, too - Tony Blair and his 'what I say is' that always made me silently shout 'just say it!' at the radio or television. Comedians and celebrities often have catch phrases - punchy words that define them; perhaps these are a subset of clich-motifs.

Interesting (to me anyway) aside for a moment - the autocorrect has so far tried to substitute clicc-motif and clinch-motif. Does that mean they exist? What are they? *

Back to me and my clich-motif (... clinch on autocorrect again). Dictionaries describe take care as an idiomatic phrase; a combination of words that stray from their literal meaning. Okay, for some idioms - most probably, because that is after all what they are - the meaning is unpredictable. Over the moon, for example. I can't jump that high. No-body can. And if I say I'm over the moon no-one would expect me to be anything other than ecstatically happy. In the case of take care, though, I disagree. When I say it, I mean everything implied by an accurate definition of both words. Take - grab; hold onto; never take your eyes off the ball. And care - be safe.

I use it instead of, or in addition to, farewell which if you think about it means that I am saying the same thing twice - fare well and take care. Even goodbye is derived from God be with you, so arguably means the same thing. Americans say 'Have a nice day.' All are so much better than cheers, or laterz or ciao. My inner sheep dog is a worrier (not a surprise to anyone who knows me); if I can't go with them, I tell my flock to stay safe. I want them back. I want there to be a next time.
Maybe, what I should be saying is 'arrivederci.' Although, post-Brexit that would seem a little contrived. Post-anytime actually, since I'm not Italian.

There is only one way to end this blog posting today

... take care.



* they don't exist




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colour, Delacroix, flochetage and why don't we all have a go at inventing words

Yes - it is a real word. Flochetage. Well, a real-ish word. One invented by the painter Delacroix, when he found the dictionary cupboard bare and required a word to describe his technique of layering different coloured paints, using lightly pulled brush strokes to create texture and pattern and thereby enhance his base-layer colours (... lost? - stick around, read on and all will become clear. Or perhaps muddier ...). Flochetage implies both stringiness and threadiness. Apparently. And it sounds good - in a filling-the-mouth-with-sound sort of a way. Try it ... flochetaaaage. Not that I speak French. So I am probably mis-pronouncing it. Nor am I an artist. So what do I know about painting techniques - except that I think this one works. What I do like is the concept - you invent a new technique in whatever it is you do, hunt around for the vocabulary to describe it, find the dictionary is lacking, so make up a word of your own and announce to the world what it means. Delacroix isn&#

Confetti for the brain. A little bit of history regarding a use for holes and a couple of quotes.

Confetti - noun: small pieces of coloured paper thrown over a bride and groom following their marriage ceremony. Also the bane of church yards and wedding venues - who wants to exit church after their favourite spinster aunt's funeral and slip on the papier mâché mush of last weekend's weddings, or step, in your wedding gown, onto a pink spattered step when your colour theme is lilac? Confetti - derived from the Latin confectum, meaning something prepared. Which suggests that there is something missing from the traditional wedding rhyme 'something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue ... something prepared.' How about something shared ... declared ... or ensnared?? Nature's confetti is all over the ground at this time of year - The garden, footpaths, and pavements are covered in blossom snow. And, when he falls asleep beneath the apple tree, it speckles Four-legged-friend's black coat. The confetti we know today - bits of b

My beloved boy, how lucky I have been

It's an odd thing that when we are waiting for someone to die ... and I say someone here even though the one in question was a dog - but to us he had character and a place forever in our hearts and was more of a familiar someone than some of the people in our lives. So, I'll start again - it's an odd thing that when we are waiting for someone to die, our senses go into overdrive. We notice things that normally would be part of the background of our every day. We breathe more - or rather, we don't but what we do is notice our breathing more, as we watch his. We pause. We think. We listen to ourselves and our inner voices speak. Memories flood our dreams ... though sleep is fitful.  Why am I telling you this? ... ... we lost this beautiful boy today And in the hours before he went, I saw perfect spheres of dew on blades of grass - little orbs holding micro-images of our world; a bumble bee drunk on nectar, yellow-dusted with pollen, resting in a crocus; ten - yes, ten!