Skip to main content

A letter to Doris; avoiding the W word and a little bit of Thursday escapism.

Imagine having a word that you can't mention. Like Voldemort, say, in Harry Potter land. Or fart when in the company of a great aunt. Or ice-cream if surrounded by toddlers. A bad idea, in the wrong situation, to utter any of those out loud. So it is with the W word in our house. If we say it and don't act upon it, it becomes a form of torture and a source of great, moaning-laden frustration. Utter it and the excitement created could be bottled. If you are in possession of a canine companion ... that looks wrong; arguably, it is the canine companion who possesses you ...  you will be aware of the strike-a-match potential of the W word. And the need to find alternatives - shall we go for a perambulation in half an hour? Or is it time for a stroll? Or what about a wander across the fields? Or anyone fancy placing one foot in front of the other for an hour or so? Speak the W word itself and observe the transformation, from this




to this

...

actually it is surprisingly difficult to catch them on camera in an excited state. This is how they look a few minutes after the tail-wagging, hip-swinging, vertically-bouncing, whinnying state that the W word triggers. At the gate, ready to go -




Ready in the sun that didn't last long ...

Dear Doris,

I don't normally complain but I worked on Monday and Tuesday and Four-legged-friend and Bertie Baggins haven't learnt how to take themselves for walks yet - although Bertie Baggins has tried - so the boys were delighted to discover that I wasn't abandoning them yesterday morning. But much less delighted to find that I had running up and down the stairs and baking and carrying baskets of clothes and vacuuming and doing stuff with water and bubbles and cleaning muddy paw prints off the floor and sitting and talking to do. But so far, Doris, none of that was your problem or your fault. What I wish to complain about is your timing. Why did you wait for me to go out on a Walk before doing this? My daughter, who sensibly stayed at home, captioned this - "five minutes after they went out for a walk ..."





I had to shelter in the lea of a tree




and reflect on how much better this would be in summer ... with leaves




Bertie Baggins took on that cliched 'hang-dog' expression - 'I'm not at all happy to be out here / it's warmer at home / why are you standing in a ditch cuddling up to a tree? / the sooner we hurry up this path the sooner we get home / my coat is soggy, my feet are muddy, your bread is wet, so no, I have nothing to be happy about / and yes I am ignoring you because you brought me out in this and I blame you for that and for the fact that you will need to take the towel to me when we get home which I hate and which you know I hate'



  
Four-legged-friend protested by plodding




They had a point




So Doris, yesterday, you could have waited. Allowed us to get home; dry.

Today, however, my dear, you were spectacular.

(Plus ... I looked at the forecast)





This is the tree we sheltered under yesterday




Bertie Baggins was a little too adventurous in the unexpected sun and swollen stream and a little too not strong enough to scramble up the bank




but - revealing that he isn't as thick (not my word for him!) as he sometimes looks (to others!) - he waded downstream and found a spot where it was much easier. Bread helped.




It took Doris about five minutes to fill the sky with clouds








and the air with ear-flapping wind




and this-is-too-much-I-want-to-go-home gusts




and dramatic stormy skies





Doris, you soaked me yesterday, blew me away this morning and deprived me of internet and electricity for several hours this afternoon. I wonder what you have left over for tomorrow.



Lastly, having promised myself that I wouldn't get political or mention the T word in this post, here's a little escapism, which we all need, especially after a week forever scarred by the infamous (as in not famous) and terrible (as in really ... ?) Sweden incident: searching for fairytales and superheroes - even if a little beige, a little same-y, a little repetitive - is a much better way to start and end a Thursday. It's Coldplay after all ... youtubefeature


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colour, Delacroix, flochetage and why don't we all have a go at inventing words

Yes - it is a real word. Flochetage. Well, a real-ish word. One invented by the painter Delacroix, when he found the dictionary cupboard bare and required a word to describe his technique of layering different coloured paints, using lightly pulled brush strokes to create texture and pattern and thereby enhance his base-layer colours (... lost? - stick around, read on and all will become clear. Or perhaps muddier ...). Flochetage implies both stringiness and threadiness. Apparently. And it sounds good - in a filling-the-mouth-with-sound sort of a way. Try it ... flochetaaaage. Not that I speak French. So I am probably mis-pronouncing it. Nor am I an artist. So what do I know about painting techniques - except that I think this one works. What I do like is the concept - you invent a new technique in whatever it is you do, hunt around for the vocabulary to describe it, find the dictionary is lacking, so make up a word of your own and announce to the world what it means. Delacroix isn&#

My beloved boy, how lucky I have been

It's an odd thing that when we are waiting for someone to die ... and I say someone here even though the one in question was a dog - but to us he had character and a place forever in our hearts and was more of a familiar someone than some of the people in our lives. So, I'll start again - it's an odd thing that when we are waiting for someone to die, our senses go into overdrive. We notice things that normally would be part of the background of our every day. We breathe more - or rather, we don't but what we do is notice our breathing more, as we watch his. We pause. We think. We listen to ourselves and our inner voices speak. Memories flood our dreams ... though sleep is fitful.  Why am I telling you this? ... ... we lost this beautiful boy today And in the hours before he went, I saw perfect spheres of dew on blades of grass - little orbs holding micro-images of our world; a bumble bee drunk on nectar, yellow-dusted with pollen, resting in a crocus; ten - yes, ten!

Tut, Tut, soggy feet again

"Tut, Tut, looks like rain." Tut, Tut probably isn't the first thing that springs to mind when viewing this picture. And faced with bleak weather and a sad-looking symbol of national pride it is unlikely that many would consider a small bear  a personage of sufficient gravitas to quote. However, Walking the Dog was in Scotland ( was rather than is, because was there last week without internet). And Walking the Dog likes Pooh. That sort of Pooh - the sort with an 'h' at the end. A. A. Milne had a lot to say about the weather. He gave Eeyore my favourite weather-related observation , "The nicest thing about the rain is that it always stops. Eventually." And last Thursday, it did stop. Long enough for Littlest and I to walk to our pooh-sticks bridge. Long enough for us to get half way there, along the grassy path. Long enough for us to chat to the cows (we had to shout as they stubbornly stayed at the distant end of the fie