Skip to main content

High summer. Hi summer! A word procrasti-ramble, chilling and talk to the hand.

Another season. Another picture of the never-sat-upon bench. 
Not sat upon by me anyway. 
What would I do were I to sit there? 
Probably fret about not pruning, mowing, clipping, picking, weeding, trimming, burning, edging, feeding, watering, planting and writing/reading/blogging. Arguably, I could do the last three from the bench, but as I haven't sat on it, I don't know if the house internet stretches that far. Reading doesn't need the internet. I could sit and read. But I would need blinkers to hide the 'hello-we-thought-you'd-missed-us-so-we're-just-going-to-perform-a-little-seed-scattering-dance-in-the-breeze-for-you' weeds. And it would also require a plentiful supply of bribery for Four-legged-friend and Bertie Baggins, to stop them bothering me until I get up; I suspect they think I'm ill when I stop and need to check that I can still move and that the hand that feeds them hasn't popped her clogs. Or that some other cliche-ridden disaster hasn't befallen me. Their persistence assists my not-sitting behaviour. Ensures it comprehensively. They let me sit on the tractor because they can run around the garden after me. They let me sit in the car and drive off. But they wait anxiously for my return ... and dinner. As healthy lifestyle aids, they are pretty up there. If I sit on the sofa in the kitchen they lick my feet, slobber on my clothes, tail-wag hairs into my coffee and 'sing' plaintively until I get up. So, I am not allowed to rest. Ever. Which is a good thing. For my waist-line. Thankfully, they are not allowed up stairs. What would they think of me trying to lie down and sleep ...




It is a very pretty bench. Cushions would enhance any future sitting plans. Making cushions may however further delay the actual bench sitting goal, at least for the duration of the cushion manufacturing process. 
Plus, I would rather be decapitating weeds in the sun than be trapped inside pricking fingers with pins.

Summer time.  And the livin' is easy.

High white cloud sunny time.
And soon to be harvesting time. 




Sun-bathing time for Bertie Baggins; exhausted after all that must-guard-against-bench-sitting time.




High summer is a good time of year. A bit hot. A bit buggy. But with a promise of autumn apple crumble. And home made apple chutney.




Hi summer! And hello to summer flowers and projects.






A new herb bed. Thanks to the plant sale at Castle Acre Priory.





And for my mediterranean corner, hot geraniums. Which is about as hot as I like summer to get. A manageable heat. One in which you can still walk and garden and read and not melt. Melting is for Italy. Soon. I'm hoping for cool terracotta floors a pillow for my head and a good book.




I have never understood anyone - any parent, that is -  who says they dread summer holidays. I love the time to chill; the lack of routine; the catching up on sleep; the sound of singing; the hours spent dreaming; the games; the stories; the unscheduled picnics in the garden; the trips to the seaside; the swing of the hammock; the pyjama days; the days when your feet never wear shoes; the long evenings with wine and laughter and citronella candles and torches to find the croquet balls (!) and barbecued food and salad and berries that explode their sharp, sweet bursts of intense flavour inside your mouth and ice-cream. And above all, I love the togetherness. And the not having to rush.




Littlest loves the hammock. But doesn't love being asked to share her art before it is finished.




Speak to the hand. No words required.

Later: Littlest's latest. Finished.




And the day ... nearly finished. 
And the bench drenched in the rays of the setting sun ... still un-sat-upon




Perhaps, I'll dream about my bench and the cushions I'll make for it and a cool evening breeze and cold grass between my toes while I perspire/glow/burn/drip-with-sweat and swat away mozzies in Italy.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colour, Delacroix, flochetage and why don't we all have a go at inventing words

Yes - it is a real word. Flochetage. Well, a real-ish word. One invented by the painter Delacroix, when he found the dictionary cupboard bare and required a word to describe his technique of layering different coloured paints, using lightly pulled brush strokes to create texture and pattern and thereby enhance his base-layer colours (... lost? - stick around, read on and all will become clear. Or perhaps muddier ...). Flochetage implies both stringiness and threadiness. Apparently. And it sounds good - in a filling-the-mouth-with-sound sort of a way. Try it ... flochetaaaage. Not that I speak French. So I am probably mis-pronouncing it. Nor am I an artist. So what do I know about painting techniques - except that I think this one works. What I do like is the concept - you invent a new technique in whatever it is you do, hunt around for the vocabulary to describe it, find the dictionary is lacking, so make up a word of your own and announce to the world what it means. Delacroix isn&#

My beloved boy, how lucky I have been

It's an odd thing that when we are waiting for someone to die ... and I say someone here even though the one in question was a dog - but to us he had character and a place forever in our hearts and was more of a familiar someone than some of the people in our lives. So, I'll start again - it's an odd thing that when we are waiting for someone to die, our senses go into overdrive. We notice things that normally would be part of the background of our every day. We breathe more - or rather, we don't but what we do is notice our breathing more, as we watch his. We pause. We think. We listen to ourselves and our inner voices speak. Memories flood our dreams ... though sleep is fitful.  Why am I telling you this? ... ... we lost this beautiful boy today And in the hours before he went, I saw perfect spheres of dew on blades of grass - little orbs holding micro-images of our world; a bumble bee drunk on nectar, yellow-dusted with pollen, resting in a crocus; ten - yes, ten!

Confetti for the brain. A little bit of history regarding a use for holes and a couple of quotes.

Confetti - noun: small pieces of coloured paper thrown over a bride and groom following their marriage ceremony. Also the bane of church yards and wedding venues - who wants to exit church after their favourite spinster aunt's funeral and slip on the papier mâché mush of last weekend's weddings, or step, in your wedding gown, onto a pink spattered step when your colour theme is lilac? Confetti - derived from the Latin confectum, meaning something prepared. Which suggests that there is something missing from the traditional wedding rhyme 'something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue ... something prepared.' How about something shared ... declared ... or ensnared?? Nature's confetti is all over the ground at this time of year - The garden, footpaths, and pavements are covered in blossom snow. And, when he falls asleep beneath the apple tree, it speckles Four-legged-friend's black coat. The confetti we know today - bits of b