Skip to main content

An escapologist, friends and Happy Sundays

Escapology is the art of freeing oneself from confinement and an escapologist is one who practices this skill. In Bertie Baggins's case, the skill was practised four times yesterday. We were alerted to the first, when a neighbour phoned to say that he had been contacted about a yellow lab loose in the village and wondered if it was one of ours. It was, and a rather timid, 'I'm-a-bit-lost' and 'Golly!-I'm-so-pleased-to-see-you' Bertie Baggins was led home. Bravado returned on reaching the garden and he promptly showed us how he had escaped under the gate: commando style - belly scraping the ground, as he squeezed beneath the wire.

So we repaired the gate. And he appeared on the drive. Outside the gate.

So Littlest and I walked round the garden and found two holes in the fence. Which we repaired with chicken wire and bamboo poles - yes! it was a bit of a botch, but the light was fading.

We went to pick the last of the apples from a tree near the gate. And Bertie Baggins appeared on the drive. If dogs can smile, he was grinning. He was winning this game!

But not for long. Humans can be very bad losers, particularly dog-owning-humans at risk of losing their dogs. Tricked with a lump of bread, Bertie Baggins spent a stint in 'chokey,' while we went out with torches, in search of holes.




Another hole, another repair and a rather disgruntled Bertie Baggins. His career as an escapologist has been halted. So far ...



From chasing dogs to chasing memories. I haven't been back to any of my schools. I haven't really kept in touch with any school friends. I haven't seen any teachers. But I do read the newsletters that arrive annually and remind me that I once was young. Was school as intense an experience for us as it appears to be for our children? When they're not physically at school, they are in second-to-second, blanket connection with all of their friends - they tap away 'chatting' in the car, over breakfast, while they do their homework and in bed. Every detail of their life is captured in fleeting photographs and miniscule comments. They are masters of linguistic brevity, indignant ululation and gibberish. Theirs is a powerful community made strong by the relative technological illiteracy of their elders. I look at them and the bonds they have made with their friends and I struggle to imagine anything breaking them. Even if they move away, which I did, I suspect social networking will maintain relationships in a way that letters and wired telephones could never do. Or maybe I was just a very bad friend ...

Last night, after far too may decades, I had dinner with an old school friend. And it was great. In appearance, we had both changed (well, you would after that many years! And humiliatingly, I briefly didn't recognise him when he unexpectedly opened the door to us ... I really hope the delay in my eye-to-brain-to-aaah!-recognition reaction was of sufficient brevity for him not to notice). But what hadn't changed was the easy camaraderie of a shared past and common values born of common experience. We talked into the wee small hours and time passed effortlessly.

Another thing that is ffortless is the sharing of food with good friends

- wonderful purple carrots and red pepper to roast


- caramelised onion and goats cheese 'tart' or 'flan' prior to baking




and fruit for a pear, bramble and gooseberry crumble, before ...




and after pictures




"Effortless" because feeding friends doesn't feel like a hassle, I keep recipes simple and I cheat where possible (the flan/tart pastry was from a packet).

And also because Bertie Baggins and Four-legged-friend woke me at 6.10 a.m., so I had plenty of time.




Time and friends made for a very Happy Sunday.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colour, Delacroix, flochetage and why don't we all have a go at inventing words

Yes - it is a real word. Flochetage. Well, a real-ish word. One invented by the painter Delacroix, when he found the dictionary cupboard bare and required a word to describe his technique of layering different coloured paints, using lightly pulled brush strokes to create texture and pattern and thereby enhance his base-layer colours (... lost? - stick around, read on and all will become clear. Or perhaps muddier ...). Flochetage implies both stringiness and threadiness. Apparently. And it sounds good - in a filling-the-mouth-with-sound sort of a way. Try it ... flochetaaaage. Not that I speak French. So I am probably mis-pronouncing it. Nor am I an artist. So what do I know about painting techniques - except that I think this one works. What I do like is the concept - you invent a new technique in whatever it is you do, hunt around for the vocabulary to describe it, find the dictionary is lacking, so make up a word of your own and announce to the world what it means. Delacroix isn&#

My beloved boy, how lucky I have been

It's an odd thing that when we are waiting for someone to die ... and I say someone here even though the one in question was a dog - but to us he had character and a place forever in our hearts and was more of a familiar someone than some of the people in our lives. So, I'll start again - it's an odd thing that when we are waiting for someone to die, our senses go into overdrive. We notice things that normally would be part of the background of our every day. We breathe more - or rather, we don't but what we do is notice our breathing more, as we watch his. We pause. We think. We listen to ourselves and our inner voices speak. Memories flood our dreams ... though sleep is fitful.  Why am I telling you this? ... ... we lost this beautiful boy today And in the hours before he went, I saw perfect spheres of dew on blades of grass - little orbs holding micro-images of our world; a bumble bee drunk on nectar, yellow-dusted with pollen, resting in a crocus; ten - yes, ten!

Curlews, summer skies and walking in circles.

Summer skies over the Yorkshire Dales and my mind is set to rest mode. But that rest is not totally restful; there is a niggle ... a memory, a hint of childhood, something that unsettles slightly - a light brush stroke of discomfort; a gossamer breath of discombobulation and a 'Woah! Wait a moment!' moment of 'that's-not-right!' - we're about as far from the sea as it is possible to be in middle Britain and yet, I can hear the distinctive Peep! Peep! of oystercatchers and the piercing cry of curlew. Here -  in the blue skies of the North Yorkshire dales and along the footpaths - and above the endless miles of drystone walls are birds that should be at the coast.  Oystercatchers, with their distinctive red pliers attached to their heads feed on - you've guessed it - oyster beds. All along the coastline of the British Isles, their distinctive cry is the call of summer. Drowned out somewhat by the banter of seagulls but sharp and