Skip to main content

New Year Resolutions - fulfilment of: Part 1

Think I rather rashly said something about the fruit cage and sorting it out, in my list of possible, but not confirmed, New Year resolutions.








Four-legged-friend and I thought we had better assess the damage and the extent of labour required - or, as you have probably guessed, it was me staring distressed at the enormous amount of work needed and Four-legged-friend coming along for the walk. And to see if there was anything he could eat: dead rhubarb was a hit!




Rather than start immediately, I decided that a period of reflection and planning was essential i.e. I was distracted by an entirely different, and far simpler task. Much easier option; easier to execute and easier to complete. Weeding!




Four-legged-friend did his best to help. Ate a few weeds. Dug a hole. Stood between me and my bucket. Dropped ball on my toes. Tried to wrestle glove off my hand. Normal behaviour really. Then it struck me - could I persuade the felonious kleptosquaters out of the house and into the garden, where instead of helping themselves to pairs of scissors, car keys and boxes of matches they could instead steal weeds?!!!!! Maybe, I could tempt them with odd socks draped across particularly overgrown shrubs. Then it struck me - they are, of course, outside already. How else to explain the loss of trowels, secateurs, even spades? And the loppers - where have they gone? And who but the kleptosquaters would hide a half finished cup of coffee - complete with thick layer of green slime - on an upturned bucket next to the garden steps?

It reminds me of the elusive coffee cup inside the house. Every day, I make a cup of coffee and start the housework - sorting the washing; then the phone rings and when I've finished talking, I go back to ... the washing up. Just when the sink is full of soapy water, Littlest asks me for a snack - "elevenses" - and when the banana is sliced and chocolate milk poured, I go back to ... washing the utility room floor. I've almost finished, when Four-legged-friend clatters his nose into the dishwasher that I've left open. Four-legged-friend marched outside and dishwasher re-stacked, I return to ... making the beds and vacuuming the floors. Then, I hear someone trying to come in the back door, finding it blocked and pushing harder. And the clatter of mop and splash of water as the bucket I had left there is upturned all over the floor. Then, someone empties coffee grounds into my clean but now cold sink and the phone rings and I have no idea where I left the hands free phone earlier. I trip over the vacuum cleaner lead on my way to the washing machine, where I find both phone ... and cold cup of coffee.

Me or felonious kleptosquaters? - mmm, I wonder ...


P.S. If felonious kleptosquaters puzzle you, you will just have to read my previous blogs to find out who they are/might be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colour, Delacroix, flochetage and why don't we all have a go at inventing words

Yes - it is a real word. Flochetage. Well, a real-ish word. One invented by the painter Delacroix, when he found the dictionary cupboard bare and required a word to describe his technique of layering different coloured paints, using lightly pulled brush strokes to create texture and pattern and thereby enhance his base-layer colours (... lost? - stick around, read on and all will become clear. Or perhaps muddier ...). Flochetage implies both stringiness and threadiness. Apparently. And it sounds good - in a filling-the-mouth-with-sound sort of a way. Try it ... flochetaaaage. Not that I speak French. So I am probably mis-pronouncing it. Nor am I an artist. So what do I know about painting techniques - except that I think this one works. What I do like is the concept - you invent a new technique in whatever it is you do, hunt around for the vocabulary to describe it, find the dictionary is lacking, so make up a word of your own and announce to the world what it means. Delacroix isn&#

My beloved boy, how lucky I have been

It's an odd thing that when we are waiting for someone to die ... and I say someone here even though the one in question was a dog - but to us he had character and a place forever in our hearts and was more of a familiar someone than some of the people in our lives. So, I'll start again - it's an odd thing that when we are waiting for someone to die, our senses go into overdrive. We notice things that normally would be part of the background of our every day. We breathe more - or rather, we don't but what we do is notice our breathing more, as we watch his. We pause. We think. We listen to ourselves and our inner voices speak. Memories flood our dreams ... though sleep is fitful.  Why am I telling you this? ... ... we lost this beautiful boy today And in the hours before he went, I saw perfect spheres of dew on blades of grass - little orbs holding micro-images of our world; a bumble bee drunk on nectar, yellow-dusted with pollen, resting in a crocus; ten - yes, ten!

Curlews, summer skies and walking in circles.

Summer skies over the Yorkshire Dales and my mind is set to rest mode. But that rest is not totally restful; there is a niggle ... a memory, a hint of childhood, something that unsettles slightly - a light brush stroke of discomfort; a gossamer breath of discombobulation and a 'Woah! Wait a moment!' moment of 'that's-not-right!' - we're about as far from the sea as it is possible to be in middle Britain and yet, I can hear the distinctive Peep! Peep! of oystercatchers and the piercing cry of curlew. Here -  in the blue skies of the North Yorkshire dales and along the footpaths - and above the endless miles of drystone walls are birds that should be at the coast.  Oystercatchers, with their distinctive red pliers attached to their heads feed on - you've guessed it - oyster beds. All along the coastline of the British Isles, their distinctive cry is the call of summer. Drowned out somewhat by the banter of seagulls but sharp and