Skip to main content

So glad I am neither rabbit nor hedge. Warning - contains BIG rant!

Rabbit footprints everywhere, much to the puzzlement of Four-legged-friend.




I'd rather cope with the panic-buying British masses, encouraged into a state of frenzy by forecasts of terrible snow and deadly cold, than have to be a rabbit and scrape frost and snow off my meagre bit of frozen grass.




Think Four-legged-friend agrees - a bowl of food, presented at regular intervals to your nose, is much easier.




But I would be rabbit rather than hedge:

Whenever I see this, my heart screams, "Aaaaaaaaaargh!"




Why subject our heritage to this? It's so, so ugly!!!!

The definition of flail is to beat or flog and the word is derived from the Latin flagellum or whip. To flail is therefore to punish by whipping. What warped form of countryside stewardship devised this brutal destruction of our historic hedgerows? Think of Constable's paintings - the hedgerows of rural England are little changed since then, except now they are beaten into submission. No-one would do this to the plants in their garden - unless the intention was to kill them! And the Hedgerow Protection Act of 1997 prevents removal through over maintenance that results in death. Supposedly. 

Actually, here I have to tame my rant-that-was-going-to-be-a-mega-rant and admit that although species like the Brown Hairstreak butterfly are in decline, because winter flailing destroys their eggs, defra and numerous other countryside organisations  support a regulated (carefully timed to avoid bird breeding seasons etc) programme of non-over-zealous flailing, as it has been found to be good for biodiversity.

While I am all for biodiversity, however, it strikes me that the elephant in this particular room, or field, is the fact that hedgerows are only protected where they are continuous and I suspect husbandry practices which mash the stems of bushes and splinter the trunks of trees will result in gaps and the inevitable drop from the current estimate of 70% of English hedgerows being covered by the protection act. And maybe in this day of mega farms that is the point. Or am I being too cynical?




And changing the subject, somewhat, from rant to lighter note, while I would hate to be a hedge, how much worse would it be to be made of snow?







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colour, Delacroix, flochetage and why don't we all have a go at inventing words

Yes - it is a real word. Flochetage. Well, a real-ish word. One invented by the painter Delacroix, when he found the dictionary cupboard bare and required a word to describe his technique of layering different coloured paints, using lightly pulled brush strokes to create texture and pattern and thereby enhance his base-layer colours (... lost? - stick around, read on and all will become clear. Or perhaps muddier ...). Flochetage implies both stringiness and threadiness. Apparently. And it sounds good - in a filling-the-mouth-with-sound sort of a way. Try it ... flochetaaaage. Not that I speak French. So I am probably mis-pronouncing it. Nor am I an artist. So what do I know about painting techniques - except that I think this one works. What I do like is the concept - you invent a new technique in whatever it is you do, hunt around for the vocabulary to describe it, find the dictionary is lacking, so make up a word of your own and announce to the world what it means. Delacroix isn...

Holiday cake and old friends

Chocolate cake. Most of us who bake probably have a favourite chocolate cake recipe - the one that always works; that forgives being made in a rush or once without eggs (added to the cake tin five minutes after it was initially placed in the oven ... even I didn't think I'd get away with that one); that tolerates the fickle heat of different ovens and different tins and without fail, at first sniff of it baking, brings back delicious memories of old friends and old holidays. And picnics and sand between toes and laughter and blustery walks and holding hands and eating too much and wind in your hair and squinting in the sun and dancing in the rain and dragonflies hitching a ride and castles and hill-tops and freezing cold lochs and a long walk with a black and white cat. This is my favourite chocolate cake recipe. Written by the dearest of old friends, on this scrap of paper, over twenty years ago. (Annotated by he who should have known better and me. He was right abo...

Life as bramble thicket

Life passing in a fairly content fog of gift wrapping (mild panic - omg, have I got enough for everyone; will they like it; have I got the right bridge pads for mother-in-law?); cooking (friends all being extremely helpful with offers of puddings, mains and starters - apart from the big event, may not have to actually cook much at all); decorating (post fire, post building work); planning of meals with friends; entertaining (music recitals already being rehearsed by Littlest and sister); feeding the dog; ordering startlingly expensive turkey; walking the dog; feeding hungry mouths (eating me out of house and home - realise just how significant a role the school catering staff play in their lives); gardening with dog; and shopping (again ...), when unexpectedly hit by devastating question of what mark if any will I leave on the planet (assuming that I want to leave a mark, which I think I do, because there has to be more to life than working hard, otherwise what is the point of anything...