Skip to main content

The whens, whys, hows and wheres of a good life.

Whatever pithy sayings are said about life - the clever, inspiring quotes you read, try to remember and promptly forget - and whatever happens along life's way; eventually, it's how you live it that matters. This how is the essence of a good life.

Kids live for the moment. Life is good. Responsibilities if they exist are to themselves. Theirs is a life of when - when will I grow up; when can we get a dog; when will the toothfairy remember to come; when will I be tall enough for that ride at the theme park; when can I have another ice-cream; when can I start wearing make-up; when can I have my ears pierced; when are you collecting me from the party - not that early!; when can I have an allowance and when can I go to London on my own?

Teens live in the moment - anything beyond that moment is not worthy of their attention - exams, what exams; alarm clocks are for losers; ditto baths; alcohol is all about the pre-loading before the party; the party is about getting wasted before your friends; and parents are, well, just the people you grunt at, whose food you eat and whose home you liberally sprinkle with discarded items of clothing.

With late teens and early 20s comes the whys - why didn't I work harder at school; why did she get the job I wanted; why can't I have a car; why when I work my guts out doesn't the boss notice ... actually this is all sounding a bit negative ... it's more about the why can't I afford a house; why are all landlords money-pinching morons; why did my best friend think it would be sensible to have her hen night in San Tropez and expand it into a long weekend meaning that I now can't afford a holiday ... Still too negative? Sorry. More positive whys would include ... why is everyone so obsessed with who should be the next Bond when clearly it should be Rupert Friend, but nobody else seems to have considered him; and why waste caffeine in shampoo?

The hows arrive with middle age and are all about lifestyle and planning. Answering them well will secure a good life - how do we fit children into our work-life balance; how do I say yes to my cousin's wedding when I'd really like to go to the cricket; how do I get myself out of the pickle of having claimed work commitments, when I was seen at the cricket; how do I remember my passwords; how do you get Father Christmas's letter to actually go up the chimney without setting the house on fire; how do you carve a turkey; how do you remember birthdays; how do you choose a builder; how do you persuade her that a grey kitchen would be horrible without saying that it would be horrible; how do you service a lawnmower; how do you interview a nanny; how do you decide where to go on holiday and then tell your in-laws that they can't come after all; how do you do that face that tells her she looks beautiful when your eyes are looking at the extra stuffing round her middle; how do you cope with your midlife crisis and how do you look like you know what your children are talking about when they mention whatsapp, snapchat and pinterest? How do you slide effortlessly and without regret from knowing to pretending?

With old age come the wheres - where are my glasses; where did I leave my trousers; where are all my friends; where am I; and where did all the years go?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colour, Delacroix, flochetage and why don't we all have a go at inventing words

Yes - it is a real word. Flochetage. Well, a real-ish word. One invented by the painter Delacroix, when he found the dictionary cupboard bare and required a word to describe his technique of layering different coloured paints, using lightly pulled brush strokes to create texture and pattern and thereby enhance his base-layer colours (... lost? - stick around, read on and all will become clear. Or perhaps muddier ...). Flochetage implies both stringiness and threadiness. Apparently. And it sounds good - in a filling-the-mouth-with-sound sort of a way. Try it ... flochetaaaage. Not that I speak French. So I am probably mis-pronouncing it. Nor am I an artist. So what do I know about painting techniques - except that I think this one works. What I do like is the concept - you invent a new technique in whatever it is you do, hunt around for the vocabulary to describe it, find the dictionary is lacking, so make up a word of your own and announce to the world what it means. Delacroix isn&#

My beloved boy, how lucky I have been

It's an odd thing that when we are waiting for someone to die ... and I say someone here even though the one in question was a dog - but to us he had character and a place forever in our hearts and was more of a familiar someone than some of the people in our lives. So, I'll start again - it's an odd thing that when we are waiting for someone to die, our senses go into overdrive. We notice things that normally would be part of the background of our every day. We breathe more - or rather, we don't but what we do is notice our breathing more, as we watch his. We pause. We think. We listen to ourselves and our inner voices speak. Memories flood our dreams ... though sleep is fitful.  Why am I telling you this? ... ... we lost this beautiful boy today And in the hours before he went, I saw perfect spheres of dew on blades of grass - little orbs holding micro-images of our world; a bumble bee drunk on nectar, yellow-dusted with pollen, resting in a crocus; ten - yes, ten!

Curlews, summer skies and walking in circles.

Summer skies over the Yorkshire Dales and my mind is set to rest mode. But that rest is not totally restful; there is a niggle ... a memory, a hint of childhood, something that unsettles slightly - a light brush stroke of discomfort; a gossamer breath of discombobulation and a 'Woah! Wait a moment!' moment of 'that's-not-right!' - we're about as far from the sea as it is possible to be in middle Britain and yet, I can hear the distinctive Peep! Peep! of oystercatchers and the piercing cry of curlew. Here -  in the blue skies of the North Yorkshire dales and along the footpaths - and above the endless miles of drystone walls are birds that should be at the coast.  Oystercatchers, with their distinctive red pliers attached to their heads feed on - you've guessed it - oyster beds. All along the coastline of the British Isles, their distinctive cry is the call of summer. Drowned out somewhat by the banter of seagulls but sharp and