Skip to main content

Life in a time of covid-19 - part 16: Fear, participation and a glass half empty rant.




A frosty morning. An ancient oak. A hint of blue sky. A bit of frozen cobweb. And days lengthening -


"If Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?"
Percy Bysshe Shelley

I can't quite believe that I'm here, writing another 'Life in a time of covid-19' blog - the sixteenth. Maybe I'm stuck in a covid loop of covid blogging. Maybe it's time to stop. I like the number seventeen, so maybe there will be a seventeenth, and then something different. For now though - getting back to the sixteenth - what a year we have had. What a time we live in.

What ... I stare out of the window ...

what ... I massage my shut eyes, smearing my glasses with my fingers ... 

what about what comes next? Dare we think of that? Specifically, the what of what comes next.

Time will tell. What a cliche! Well, yes, but it's a cliche that is true. Time will, indeed, tell. But the problem is, we want it to tell us now. We want to know. We want to be able to see past the doom-laden news; the heavy, relentless headlines, delivering unbearable numbers, every hour of every day. We want the future to tell us, now, how it will turn out. We want to know! Because not knowing is horrible. 

What will it be? The when of what it will be is the younger sibling here (I've been watching too much 'Bridgerton' - a period drama where younger siblings always take second place: it's very good escapism if that's what your lockdown self is after). The when and time itself, has been distorted by lockdowns, bent into days that congeal into weeks, and weeks that pile upon each other like falling dominoes or cyclists crashing in a race - one goes down and the whole peloton falls - until our weeks are a heaped-up mess of twisted, spoiled intentions and dreams that barely began. Perhaps hopes should replace dreams there - hopes that barely began; the hopes that were beaten down every time the statistics got worse, every time the pandemic dealt another blow. Hopes and dreams - another cliche and one that we all possess. But hopes and dreams always have a timescale. That timescale is woven into our ideas of future and it is that future that we want to know. We want to know the what - not necessarily the when - of our futures. Impatience might demand the when, but the what is so much more important. We want to know if we can seed new dreams. If there is any point in doing so?

I would say, yes. Resoundingly. I don't know yet, exactly what the what is. But yes, there is a point - there must be. Mainly because to think the alternative is the path to despair.

If we give in to fear. If we allow ourselves to be drowned by it, then the what of our futures dies too. For giving in to fear is giving up. And giving up is something we cannot allow ourselves to do. We owe it, to everyone we share this precious planet with, not to give up. Giving up would expose us to much greater danger. Because giving up is not believing that there is a future. It is not an option. Neither is believing in conspiracy theories and breaking the lockdown rules. Giving up and breaking the rules - each of these is wrong; each is storming Capitols; each is failing to wear a mask; each is not isolating; each is failure - absolute and complete failure.

So ... 

This blog is a rant - I could apologise, but for me and for you I refuse to. I will feel fear but not succumb to it. Anyone who knows me will know that I wear a hat that says this person will worry for you so that you don't have to. I worry. I am a worrier. I am incapable of not worrying. But worry is one thing and fear is another. Give in to fear and you become paralysed. Embracing worry, on the other hand, is like drinking endless cups of strong coffee. It energises you - yes, in an utterly exhausting way - but it keeps you awake and alert. And it forces you to do stuff. You make lists. You text your children every day. You sort things. You hoard ... only a little, I promise. You plan. And you hope.

A worrier can be a glass half full or a glass half empty person. I am the latter. And it is a rational choice. If your view of the world is a glass half empty one, then most of the time things will turn out to be better than you had anticipated. You will be pleasantly and often surprised. 

So, it is with my glass half empty that I wear my worry-hat to worry about the what of what is to come. 

And it is wearing another hat - my doctor hat - that I look this pandemic in the face and tell it that our vaccines will eventually restore to us the hopes and dreams that are our futures. Until then, I will stay home, stay safe, and follow the guidelines. And you should too.

I don't know the answer to the what of what is to come. But I do know the how of waiting safely for it. And I know that it is worthy of hopefulness.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colour, Delacroix, flochetage and why don't we all have a go at inventing words

Yes - it is a real word. Flochetage. Well, a real-ish word. One invented by the painter Delacroix, when he found the dictionary cupboard bare and required a word to describe his technique of layering different coloured paints, using lightly pulled brush strokes to create texture and pattern and thereby enhance his base-layer colours (... lost? - stick around, read on and all will become clear. Or perhaps muddier ...). Flochetage implies both stringiness and threadiness. Apparently. And it sounds good - in a filling-the-mouth-with-sound sort of a way. Try it ... flochetaaaage. Not that I speak French. So I am probably mis-pronouncing it. Nor am I an artist. So what do I know about painting techniques - except that I think this one works. What I do like is the concept - you invent a new technique in whatever it is you do, hunt around for the vocabulary to describe it, find the dictionary is lacking, so make up a word of your own and announce to the world what it means. Delacroix isn&#

My beloved boy, how lucky I have been

It's an odd thing that when we are waiting for someone to die ... and I say someone here even though the one in question was a dog - but to us he had character and a place forever in our hearts and was more of a familiar someone than some of the people in our lives. So, I'll start again - it's an odd thing that when we are waiting for someone to die, our senses go into overdrive. We notice things that normally would be part of the background of our every day. We breathe more - or rather, we don't but what we do is notice our breathing more, as we watch his. We pause. We think. We listen to ourselves and our inner voices speak. Memories flood our dreams ... though sleep is fitful.  Why am I telling you this? ... ... we lost this beautiful boy today And in the hours before he went, I saw perfect spheres of dew on blades of grass - little orbs holding micro-images of our world; a bumble bee drunk on nectar, yellow-dusted with pollen, resting in a crocus; ten - yes, ten!

Curlews, summer skies and walking in circles.

Summer skies over the Yorkshire Dales and my mind is set to rest mode. But that rest is not totally restful; there is a niggle ... a memory, a hint of childhood, something that unsettles slightly - a light brush stroke of discomfort; a gossamer breath of discombobulation and a 'Woah! Wait a moment!' moment of 'that's-not-right!' - we're about as far from the sea as it is possible to be in middle Britain and yet, I can hear the distinctive Peep! Peep! of oystercatchers and the piercing cry of curlew. Here -  in the blue skies of the North Yorkshire dales and along the footpaths - and above the endless miles of drystone walls are birds that should be at the coast.  Oystercatchers, with their distinctive red pliers attached to their heads feed on - you've guessed it - oyster beds. All along the coastline of the British Isles, their distinctive cry is the call of summer. Drowned out somewhat by the banter of seagulls but sharp and