Skip to main content

Apple Crumble and berry thief.

First, find your apple tree and pick apples (shake earwigs off stalks)


then pick some blackberries (those that haven't been picked already)


next look for raspberries.

Discovered that four-legged-friend displays distinctly less finesse over his raspberry stealing behaviour. He is an extremely cautious but effective thief of brambles and gooseberries, gingerly plucking individual fruits with sensitive lips that must have experienced the pricking hurt of thorns. Raspberries are thorn-less, so the technique is brutal:

Sniff out a cluster of ripe berries


grab the whole tip of the plant in your jaw


rip the end off


result! ... mmm

So, gather what Four-legged-friend has left (observed him earlier doing a flanking manoeuvre past the kitchen window, along the hedge and across to the apple tree; it would have been far easier to take the shortest route across the grass, but much more obvious)


Wash and peel. Drizzle with fruit juice.


Put crumble mix (plain flour, porridge oats, cinnamon, weetabix, demerara sugar and white sugar in a bowl)


Add melted butter. Get messy making crumble topping.


And bake for about 20 to 30 minutes at 180degrees.

Serve with vanilla ice cream, cream or custard. Add friends. Enjoy. Don't anticipate there being much left - certainly not enough for Four-legged-friend's midnight feast (he can look at me as long as he likes with big eyes and wagging tail - he's not getting any).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colour, Delacroix, flochetage and why don't we all have a go at inventing words

Yes - it is a real word. Flochetage. Well, a real-ish word. One invented by the painter Delacroix, when he found the dictionary cupboard bare and required a word to describe his technique of layering different coloured paints, using lightly pulled brush strokes to create texture and pattern and thereby enhance his base-layer colours (... lost? - stick around, read on and all will become clear. Or perhaps muddier ...). Flochetage implies both stringiness and threadiness. Apparently. And it sounds good - in a filling-the-mouth-with-sound sort of a way. Try it ... flochetaaaage. Not that I speak French. So I am probably mis-pronouncing it. Nor am I an artist. So what do I know about painting techniques - except that I think this one works. What I do like is the concept - you invent a new technique in whatever it is you do, hunt around for the vocabulary to describe it, find the dictionary is lacking, so make up a word of your own and announce to the world what it means. Delacroix isn...

Life as bramble thicket

Life passing in a fairly content fog of gift wrapping (mild panic - omg, have I got enough for everyone; will they like it; have I got the right bridge pads for mother-in-law?); cooking (friends all being extremely helpful with offers of puddings, mains and starters - apart from the big event, may not have to actually cook much at all); decorating (post fire, post building work); planning of meals with friends; entertaining (music recitals already being rehearsed by Littlest and sister); feeding the dog; ordering startlingly expensive turkey; walking the dog; feeding hungry mouths (eating me out of house and home - realise just how significant a role the school catering staff play in their lives); gardening with dog; and shopping (again ...), when unexpectedly hit by devastating question of what mark if any will I leave on the planet (assuming that I want to leave a mark, which I think I do, because there has to be more to life than working hard, otherwise what is the point of anything...

My beloved boy, how lucky I have been

It's an odd thing that when we are waiting for someone to die ... and I say someone here even though the one in question was a dog - but to us he had character and a place forever in our hearts and was more of a familiar someone than some of the people in our lives. So, I'll start again - it's an odd thing that when we are waiting for someone to die, our senses go into overdrive. We notice things that normally would be part of the background of our every day. We breathe more - or rather, we don't but what we do is notice our breathing more, as we watch his. We pause. We think. We listen to ourselves and our inner voices speak. Memories flood our dreams ... though sleep is fitful.  Why am I telling you this? ... ... we lost this beautiful boy today And in the hours before he went, I saw perfect spheres of dew on blades of grass - little orbs holding micro-images of our world; a bumble bee drunk on nectar, yellow-dusted with pollen, resting in a crocus; ten - yes, ten! ...